The Pink Queen Foundation est. 2016, and our #1 mission is to make a personal connection with cancer survivors (ALL CANCERS), that are currently under treatment of radiation and/or chemotherapy do to a cancer diagnosis. We use a weaved basket as our signature of giving. Included in these basket(s) are essential basic items that will provide comfort for each survivor.
Radiation Therapy Treatment is a type of cancer treatment that uses beams of intense energy to kill cancer cells. Radiation therapy is hard on the area of the body that has to be targeted for treatment. For example, a person that has breast cancer and has to do radiation therapy as part of their treatment. Radiation may consist of 35 rounds of therapy (meaning 35 consecutive days of radiation therapy,not including the weekends),
Chemotherapy Treatment is a type of cancer drug treatment that uses powerful chemicals to kill fast-growing cells in your body. The type of chemotherapy treatment you will receive depends on the kind of cancer you have and how far along it has progressed.
Examples, of some of the base items that are included in each of our wellness comfort baskets are:
- Aveeno Products (lotion, soap, body wash). We recommend the Aveeno brand to those who have had radiation therapy. Radiation cause severe burning, and blistering of the skin. Aveeno has two important ingredients that we believe that benefit those that are under this type of treatment:
- Emollient - substance that soften and moisturize the skin while decreasing itching, flaking, and blistering from radiation treatments.
- Oats - is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory to help treat dry skin and remove dead skin cells.
2. Ginger comes in the form of fresh root which can be boiled for tea, mixed in food as a seasoning, and also baked into candy. Ginger relieves nausea which most people that are under treatment are faced with especially the chemotherapy treatment. Some of the drugs from chemotherapy that are intravenously injected can cause severe nausea. The Immune System is weakened drastically and ginger helps build the immune system back up.
3. Turmeric also belongs in the ginger family. Turmeric is a spice that comes from the Turmeric plant. Turmeric was discovered in the Asian and Indian Countries. Turmeric is a base that is used to make medicine in these countries. Turmeric reduces inflammation in the Stomach(Gut).
Chemotherapy treatment can have a huge impact on the digestive system by causing diarrhea or aggressive constipation. Consuming Turmeric consistently will decrease these side effects. Turmeric also serves as a pain reliever in place of Advil or Ibuprofen. Chemotherapy treatment causes severe arthritis and joint pain.
4. Gloves and Socks are needed to control the pain and discomfort of Neuropathy. Neuropathy is symptom of tingling, numbness, unusual sensations, weakness and burning pain caused by Chemotherapy and Radiation Treatments.
5. Journal writing down the journey of this treatment is very important. This will help with healing and reflection. This also allows you to share the journey with others. Specifically those that have been diagnosed and on their way to traveling along the journey.
NO BASKET IS THE SAME, NO CANCER JOURNEY IS THE SAME
We also assist with medical copay's, utility bill pay, and food assistance (grocery purchases). Proof of need MUST be provided for consideration.
We have a Chaplain on staff that is always available to provide emotional and spiritual support. Receiving a cancer diagnosis can be devastating emotionally, and spiritually. Taking care of your mental state of mind is essential while on this cancer journey.
Finally, we provide the survivor with a directory of other local resources, and we also connect cancer survivors with other cancer survivors that are on a similar journey.
Traveling on a cancer journey , is similar to traveling with a child that has lost their way. IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO SUPPORT THE JOURNEY, AND PERSONAL CONNECTION IS THE KEY THAT OPENS THE DOOR TO HEALING.
"OUR PINK IS UNIQUE"